What Are the Causes of Spinal Cord Injury?
According to some estimates, more than 400,000 people in the United States are living with a spinal cord injury today. Each year about 10,000 more people join their ranks.
The most common causes of spinal cord injuries include:
- Motor vehicle accidents: Rollover accidents create a high risk of spinal cord injury.
- Work-related accidents: Including falls from ladders and scaffolding and work-related car accidents
- Falls: A leading cause of spinal cord injuries in senior citizens
- Sports accidents: From motor sports to football to horseback riding
- Violence: Including fire arm injuries and assaults
- Military service: Members of the armed service are suffering spinal cord injuries caused by everything from falls to bomb explosions.
Men between the ages of 16 and 30 account for 82 percent of all the people with spinal cord injuries, according to the University of Alabama National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center.
No one can completely eliminate the causes of spinal cord injuries, but closer attention to safety concerns can help reduce the number of these devastating injuries.
The personal injury and product liability attorneys of Greene Broillet & Wheeler, LLP, have obtained millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements for people with spinal cord injuries caused by negligence.
Helping Reduce the Risk of Spinal Cord Injuries
By helping our individual clients maximize compensation for their injuries, we hope to encourage more responsible behavior, reduce negligence and make society safer for everyone.
Our lawyers represent people who sustained spinal cord injuries in accidents caused by negligence in Los Angeles, throughout Southern California, California and the nation. Please contact our office in Santa Monica to discuss your case.